Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Bridgetek Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ Bridgetek Support

Please refer to our website for detailed information on all our products - Bridgetek - Bridging Technology

Author Topic: Images not loading correctly in EVE Screen Editor  (Read 8146 times)

jlewis

• View Profile
Images not loading correctly in EVE Screen Editor
« on: December 19, 2023, 06:17:15 PM »

Hello, I'm new to working with displays so bear with me.  I can't find any good full set of instructions for how to take a PNG, run it through the Asset Builder, create a flash file, and get it to load properly in the EVE Screen Editor.  The best I've found is section "H. Project Settings" in the EVE manual. 

To make it simple I started with a bitmap instead of my PNG, and ran it through the Converter tab of the Image Utilities in the Asset Builder.  I started with the default output format of ARGB1555, but that didn't work and I had read elsewhere that some files only load from flash if they're in ASTC format so I chose COMPRESSED_RGBA_ASTC_4X4_KHR.  Everything looked good there, so then I went to the Flash Utilities section.  I wasn't sure which file to add to the flash image but I've gotten farthest with the astc file.  Created flash file bin and map files and all good so far.

Then in ESE I load the map file as described in the manual and I get 4 items in the content window:
Status.  | Name
--------------------------------------------------------------
Flash.    | EDF Block
Overlap | bmp_24_200x200xCOMPRESSED...astc
Overlap | bmp_24_200x200xCOMPRESSED...astc.pad
Builtin   | bt817.blob

I assume the .pad file is to get the alignment that EVE wants.  Is it ok that it overlaps?  Does something need to be adjusted?  What is the blob for?  Why is it builtin?

Then I try to drag the astc file to the editor window and it crashes ESE.  I'm asked if I want to save the changes, and when I say yes, it then closes the app. 

Then trying to work around whatever is wrong with the drag and drop (it's worked before when just add images directly to the content manager), I type this into the Coprocessor window (having pieced together the various commands and parameters from other experiments):
CLEAR(1,1,1)
CMD_SETBITMAP(0x800000 | 134, COMPRESSED_RGBA_ASTC_4x4_KHR, 200, 200)
BEGIN(BITMAPS)
VERTEX2II(10,10,0,0)
END()

And I get a 200x200 image, but it's crammed 2 instances of my image side by side into the space of 200x200, and it's all distorted.  I'll attempt to attach a screen shot.  And here is where I'm stuck.  Could anybody help me with this please?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 06:32:31 PM by jlewis@zoox.com »

jlewis

• View Profile
Re: Images not loading correctly in EVE Screen Editor
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 06:39:59 PM »

This is the screen shot for the situation described above.

jlewis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 07:42:04 PM »

I moved to adding the raw file from the image converter instead of the astc file, and that looks like it works.  If that's clear in any of the manuals I didn't see it.

Should I always be using raw?  Is there any case where I should use the astc file?  Why does the tool output these other formats if we don't use them? 

If I'm going to use one of the other output formats (which I think are either JPGs or PNGs, right?), then I would be using CMD_INFLATE with those right?  And would I use the raw file output or the PNG?  And if I'm using CMD_INFLATE then does that mean I should select the "Compressed" option in the converter?

All the different options and how they interact is confusing for me.  Thanks.

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 03:17:04 PM »

Hi,

When you convert an image to ASTC using the EVE Asset Builder, the raw output file should be used to load into EVE. Sorry for the confusion, we'll check the manual to ensure that this is clear.

When you load a JPG or PNG image into EVE, you can either (1) convert them to a raw format such as ASTC or ARGB1555 or RGB556 using the Asset Builder or (2) you can load the actual data from the PNG or JPG file into EVE and use CMD_LOADIMAGE to decompress them to RAM_G as a format such as RGB565 or ARGB4444 depending on the source image.

In the second case, for example the bin2c tool in the Asset Builder is one way to take the .png file and turn it into an array of data.

ASTC is needed if you want to display an image direct from flash but ASTC and the other formats such as RGB565 etc. will work direct from RAM.

Best Regards, BRT Community