Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Bridgetek Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ Bridgetek Support

Please refer to our website for detailed information on all our products - Bridgetek - Bridging Technology

Author Topic: ESD RAM_DL vs. RAM_G usage  (Read 8961 times)

ndsmith34

• View Profile
ESD RAM_DL vs. RAM_G usage
« on: April 14, 2021, 11:36:55 PM »

I am developing a project on ESD 4.8 and when I upload the code to the hardware the screen update rate is very sluggish and the response to user input is very delayed. I also notice that my RAM_DL usage (as reported by ESD) is nearly 100%, while RAM_G usage is very low (around 1k). Are these things related? Is there a way in ESD to shift how the memory is used?

ndsmith34

• View Profile
Re: ESD RAM_DL vs. RAM_G usage
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 08:06:02 PM »

So I was able to figure out that the sluggishness of the display was not a RAM issue and was able to correct it.
However, as I'm using a Scroll Switch Page as the main layout for my application. As I add more User Pages to the page containing the Scroll Switch Page layout, the RAM_DL fills up. Eventually when I add enough pages the preview will no longer render and I get a recurring warning saying "Coprocessor has flagged an error."
Is there anything I can do to correct this? Am I limited on the number of pages I can have in a Scroll Switch Page?

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ESD RAM_DL vs. RAM_G usage
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 04:15:52 PM »

Hi,

Yes you will get an error if you run out of RAM_DL.

RAM_G is the general purpose RAM which can be used to store assets such as fonts and images, whereas the RAM_DL is the area which is parsed by the graphics engine when it renders the screen.

In EVE in general, you can sometimes trade off RAM_G with RAM_DL, for example by changing a logo from a text string and shapes to being a bitmap image (as the bitmap goes in RAM_G whereas the text and shapes would be in RAM_DL). However, in ESD it is more difficult to optimise the content as most content is composed of widgets. If you do have any logos etc. you could consider making them into an image instead.

What settings do you use in your Scroll Switch Page?

Best Regards, BRT Community