Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Bridgetek Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ Bridgetek Support

Please refer to our website for detailed information on all our products - Bridgetek - Bridging Technology

Author Topic: max resolution for video playback  (Read 12354 times)

JeffC

• View Profile
max resolution for video playback
« on: April 08, 2020, 11:41:50 AM »

Hello,
I used the 'Eve Asset Converter' to encode the provided sample video with the big bunny, at 800x480 for a BT815. It appeared grainy (8x8 pixel artefacts). What is the maximum resolution for video to provide no artifacts, please ?

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: max resolution for video playback
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 02:34:45 PM »

Hello,

Can you just confirm if the artefacts are present when playing the video on EVE hardware?

Best Regards,
BRT Community

JeffC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 07:23:21 PM »

Hi,
unfortunately I cannot test it. I performed this test as part of my evaluation whether the BT815 is suitable for my application, but I only did this "dry" with the asset converter. Would it be possible for you to play the video (it was part of the asset converter samples). Or can you speak from past experience - is the chip capable of playing 800x600 video ?
Thanks.

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 02:07:05 PM »

Hello,

The EVE series is certainly capable of playing video at such resolutions, our main SampleAPP includes an example of playing a 800*456 avi video. But it is important to take into account that EVE is not optimised for video playback, and is intended to be used for HMI solutions such as control panels, etc. As such when streaming video you must ensure that the BT81x is fed with data continuously over the SPI connection from your host MCU. Implementing a Quad SPI interface would be beneficial in such a scenario, as EVE essentially draws each frame as the data is received from the host MCU, and this means if there's a pause in the data stream the video will pause on the EVE screen.

Best Regards,
BRT Community

JeffC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 02:43:45 PM »

ok, and if I connect external SPI to the BT815/6, can it pull the data itself from the memory or do I need a host microcontroller pushing it ?

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 03:16:51 PM »

Hello,

It is possible to store any graphics asset data on an external Flash IC and stream it to the BT81x. However you would still need the host MCU to issue commands to EVE for the retrieval and display of this data.

Best Regards,
BRT Community