Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Bridgetek Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ Bridgetek Support

Please refer to our website for detailed information on all our products - Bridgetek - Bridging Technology

Author Topic: Isometric Projection  (Read 9613 times)

darkjezter

• View Profile
Isometric Projection
« on: May 29, 2020, 04:49:23 PM »

Greetings all!

I've been playing around with the bitmap distortion matrix and masking to produce an isometric pseudo-3d display using the EVE3.  It's still pretty raw, and while I've yet to boil it down to a library that takes care of the matrices and masks, I am getting some pretty impressive results using a single texture to create the effect.

I'm evaluating the approach by revamping a pong clone from black and white to something slightly more modern looking.

While there is certainly a cost in terms of setting up the stencil buffer state and manipulating the matrices, this approach appears to exercise the EVE3 where it shines.

In theory, similar techniques could be used to produce more aggressive 3d texturing, however all bitmap distortion is limited to affine projections thus producing a result comparable to to first-gen Playstation.  I likely won't bother exploring that due to the amount of stencil manipulation required to split any quads into two affine textured triangles, and the somewhat ugly result that the non-perspective distortion would result in.

Has anyone else here played with the bitmap distortion to achieve this or similar effects?

Cheers!

avanti

• View Profile
Re: Isometric Projection
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 02:56:56 PM »

Interesting work.
How about some pictures?

darkjezter

• View Profile
Re: Isometric Projection
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 09:00:29 PM »

Sure thing.  Like I said, I'm using it to update a pong clone, so it's a very simple use case.

Perhaps worth mentioning, most of the examples of this style of rendering out there don't use texture distortion to achieve the effect.  At least not in its heyday during the 80s and 90s.  The only way this approach is currently streamlining anything for me, is the 3 surfaces shown in the screenshot all use a single 16x16 texture.  Though, it could also allow for things like perspective changes while still using the same texture set.

If this demo gets any traction around the office, perhaps I'll go ahead and implement a title screen further leveraging the effect.