Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Bridgetek Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ Bridgetek Support

Please refer to our website for detailed information on all our products - Bridgetek - Bridging Technology

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Want to use ESD 4.14.0 with BT817Q and 512MB Flash (Riverdi 7" Display)  (Read 21034 times)

J369

• View Profile

Hello All,

Can someone help me with how I can set up my ESD4.14.0 project with BT817Q on Riverdi 7" Display?
So far I have tried with attached details (Target Details.png)
I am using this Display: https://riverdi.com/product/eve4-intelligent-display-rvt70hsbnwc00-b-7-inch-projected-capacitive-touch-panel-optical-bonding-uxtouch/
I am using USB to SPI board to connect. which has FT232H bridge. (https://riverdi.com/product/stm32-evaluation-board/)

My main concern here is, ESD is not allowing me to upload my project to the display. whenever I click upload option, It is just opening a folder with an application file created in it but not really uploading to my display. what am I doing wrong?
I went through documentation of ESD software but could not really get this resolved.

Please help.

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Want to use ESD 4.14.0 with BT817Q and 512MB Flash (Riverdi 7" Display)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 01:58:15 PM »

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

The FT232H IC is an MPSSE bridge, as such you would select the EVE_PLATFORM_MPSSE option.

It appears however that you are utilizing am STM32 based MCU, is this correct?

If so, please see the following porting guide for ESD 4.10:
AN 073 ESD 4.10 Exported Project Porting Guide for STM32L4 Discovery Board and FreeRTOS

Best Regards,
BRT Community

J369

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 09:34:21 PM »

Thank you for your reply.

I tried with MPSSE (EVE_PLATFORM_MPSSE) option and still not able to upload my project to my screen.
And I am not using STM32 but I am using ESP32 + FreeRTOS (ESP-IDF not Arduino) instead.
I am just using that evaluation board to get the USB to SPI bridge from it.

Every time I try to upload my project to screen it just opening a windows explorer project / release OR debug folder and that is it.
Never got the project uploaded to the screen at all.

Surprisingly, my selection also showing up invalid sometimes. Please check my image attached, I only have one selection and that says "Run Executable" there is no other option to select. Also my Flash is 512MB and I am not able to select it. (I tried focalTech and GoodFix both as touch option - can you explain the difference).

It is wonderful that it has so many options to offer but for me none of them working for which I am now convinced to pay someone if someone can fix this for me. Even BRT can provide this kind of solution we are okay to pay the charge if needed.

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 02:37:57 PM »

Hello,

Thank your your reply.

Is it your intention to utilise the ESP32 as the SPI master interface to the EVE IC and not the FT232H based bridge (MPSSE) IC?

On the following point, the EVE_PLATFORM_MPSSE/FT4222 option when configuring the project assumes a FT4222H or FTx232H USB bridge IC is being used as the SPI master to the EVE IC, as such this will generate a MSVC project and not upload any files to a MCU.

Every time I try to upload my project to screen it just opening a windows explorer project / release OR debug folder and that is it. Never got the project uploaded to the screen at all.

Please also be aware that ESD 4.10 cannot directly upload projects to an ESP32 IC, this tool can only directly upload projects to the FT9xx series of MCUs. I would refer to the previously linked porting guide for the general steps required for utilizing an ESD project on a non FT9xx based MCU.

I can suggest a library which natively supports the ESP32 MCU, however this would involve manually coding screens and screen logic as it is not supported by the ESD tool.

I will need to double check on the Flash IC selection options, however the focaltech and goodix options refer to which type of touch controller the LCD panel utilizes, are you aware of what touch controller your panel has?

Best Regards,
BRT Community

J369

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 06:19:08 PM »

My end goal:
Create ESD project to provide really nice UI displays with (very little animation) minimal screen programming on my controller side.
So, I would like to do all heavy lifting things on EVE Engine, and just trigger the screen sequence (input / output) from my controller over SPI.
Please note: our screen is touch enabled, but we are not using touch screen feature, we want to utilize this screen as non-touch. All inputs coming from manual button press that our controller can convey to EVE engine over SPI. It will be basically what screen to load when (which image / animation to load when). Very simple. But I need a basic project flow set up that can help me understand how much capability EVE engine has in it. For what level of program EVE can execute, what inputs I need to give from my controller (ESP32). No bridge IC in between ESP32 and EVE. And I am able to load the screen from my ESP32 successfully. But I want to use it through ESD so I can minimize some coding. and send all data to EVE/Flash directly and just direct the EVE Engine what image to load when from my controller.

As first step:
I am only trying to download a slider to my screen and see if it’s working. Directly from my PC to EVE (no controller in between as first step). Is this a correct path?

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 04:44:49 PM »

Hello,

I believe you may have a slight misunderstanding of how the EVE series of ICs operate, in general you do not upload any code directly to the EVE IC.

The EVE series of ICs are memory mapped SPI slaves devices which are controller via a SPI master device, in your case the ESP32. The SPI master is responsible for issuing commands to the EVE IC which are then interoperated and used to drawn the screen. Any functionality such as screen updates are implemented within the MCU code, for example if you wish to change a screen displayed based on a button press then the MCU would be responsible for this action and subsequently write a new series of SPI commands to EVE to draw  the given screen.

Please see the following for some background on the EVE ICs functionality:
https://brtchip.com/wp-content/uploads/Support/Documentation/Application_Notes/ICs/EVE/BRT-AN-006-FT81x-Simple-PIC-Example.pdf
https://brtchip.com/wp-content/uploads/Support/Documentation/Application_Notes/ICs/EVE/BRT_AN_008_FT81x_Creating_a_Simple_Library_For_PIC_MCU.pdf

Again unfortunately the ESD software does not support the ESP32 MCU, and you would need to port any code generated to this MCU and then upload it via its applicable IDE.

My end goal:
As first step:
I am only trying to download a slider to my screen and see if it’s working. Directly from my PC to EVE (no controller in between as first step). Is this a correct path?

You can use your MPSSE SPI bridge to control the EVE display without the ESP32, however again this will not download any code to EVE and will create a MSVC project to issue SPI commands to EVE via USB.

Best Regards,
BRT Community

J369

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 09:19:06 PM »

Hello,

Yes, I knew about it. I was expecting some way to port this code to my controller. But it is now more clear to me that I can't use ESD for now. I hope something can come up in near future for ESP32.

Now, with another approach I am trying to create my screen/image with Eve Screen Editor and saving it to flash. Which I am successfully able to do.
Then I am trying to load image back from flash to the screen using ESP32, which I am able to do as well.
however, when I load the image back from flash from EVE Screen Editor the image is loading as it should. And when I load the image using ESP32 the image is loading with exact same shape of my png but with black mask on it. so colors are not being loaded to the image.
Can you please identify what's the issue here?
Any steps to follow?

Regards.

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 02:47:48 PM »

Hello,

If you refer to the porting guide you should be able to port this code to your ESP32 without too much effort.

Could you please clarify the following:

Then I am trying to load image back from flash to the screen using ESP32, which I am able to do as well.
however, when I load the image back from flash from EVE Screen Editor the image is loading as it should. And when I load the image using ESP32 the image is loading with exact same shape of my png but with black mask on it. so colors are not being loaded to the image.

The above would seem to indicate that the image has been successfully loaded from flash using code on your ESP32 on at least one occasion, is this correct?

In any case when an image loads as just a blank square on the screen this normally indicates and issue with streaming the image data into the co-processor. i.e. the commands to draw the image have executed correctly (drawing the black square) but the image data is missing or corrupt.

Could you please provide the code you are using to display the image?

Best Regards,
BRT Community

J369

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 07:48:01 PM »

please verify the code below.
initStaticBackgroud() function is being called once at the beginning of set up.
And tft_display function is being called every 1 sec continuously. Image shape is being loaded with black solid color. If I try to load that image from flash using EVE Image Editor tool, then I am able to load with colors. so I confirmed that image stored in flash has correct details and not corrupted. it's just when I try to load using ESP32 with below code, is when I am getting issue. something I am not following correctly I think.

Code: [Select]
void initStaticBackground(void)
{
EVE_cmd_dl(CMD_DLSTART); /* Start the display list */

EVE_cmd_dl(TAG(0)); /* do not use the following objects for touch-detection */

EVE_cmd_bgcolor(0x00ffffff ); /* light grey */

EVE_cmd_dl(VERTEX_FORMAT(0)); /* reduce precision for VERTEX2F to 1 pixel instead of 1/16 pixel default */

/* draw a rectangle on top */
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_BEGIN | EVE_RECTS);
EVE_cmd_dl(LINE_WIDTH(1*16)); /* size is in 1/16 pixel */

EVE_cmd_dl(DL_COLOR_RGB | RED);
EVE_cmd_dl(VERTEX2F(0,0));
EVE_cmd_dl(VERTEX2F(EVE_HSIZE,LAYOUT_Y1-2));
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_END);

/* draw a black line to separate things */
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_COLOR_RGB | BLACK);
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_BEGIN | EVE_LINES);
EVE_cmd_dl(VERTEX2F(0,LAYOUT_Y1-2));
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_END);

/* Import an image from the Flash memory */
EVE_cmd_flashsource(4096);

uint8_t *data = (uint8_t *)malloc(10368 + 1);
EVE_cmd_loadimage(4096, EVE_OPT_FLASH, data, 10368);
free(data);
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_BEGIN | EVE_BITMAPS);
EVE_cmd_dl(VERTEX2F(120, 135));
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_END);

EVE_cmd_text(EVE_HSIZE/2, 15, 29, EVE_OPT_CENTERX, "Hello World!");

/* add the static text to the list */
EVE_cmd_text(10, EVE_VSIZE - 65, 26, 0, "Bytes:");

EVE_cmd_text(10, EVE_VSIZE - 50, 26, 0, "DL-size:");
EVE_cmd_text(10, EVE_VSIZE - 35, 26, 0, "Time1:");
EVE_cmd_text(10, EVE_VSIZE - 20, 26, 0, "Time2:");

EVE_cmd_text(125, EVE_VSIZE - 35, 26, 0, "us");
EVE_cmd_text(125, EVE_VSIZE - 20, 26, 0, "us");

while (EVE_busy()) {};

num_dl_static = EVE_memRead16(REG_CMD_DL);

EVE_cmd_memcpy(MEM_DL_STATIC, EVE_RAM_DL, num_dl_static);
while (EVE_busy()) {};
}

void TFT_display(void)
{
static int32_t rotate = 0;

if(tft_active != 0)
{
#if defined (EVE_DMA)
uint16_t cmd_fifo_size;
cmd_fifo_size = EVE_dma_buffer_index*4; /* without DMA there is no way to tell how many bytes are written to the cmd-fifo */
#endif

EVE_start_cmd_burst(); /* start writing to the cmd-fifo as one stream of bytes, only sending the address once */

EVE_cmd_dl_burst(CMD_DLSTART); /* start the display list */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_CLEAR_RGB | WHITE); /* set the default clear color to white */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_CLEAR | CLR_COL | CLR_STN | CLR_TAG); /* clear the screen - this and the previous prevent artifacts between lists, Attributes are the color, stencil and tag buffers */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(TAG(0));
EVE_cmd_append_burst(MEM_DL_STATIC, num_dl_static); /* insert static part of display-list from copy in gfx-mem */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_COLOR_RGB | WHITE);
EVE_cmd_setbitmap_burst(4096, EVE_COMPRESSED_RGBA_ASTC_8x8_KHR, 181, 185); /* display directly from FLASH */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(VERTEX2F(200, 100));
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_END);
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_BEGIN | EVE_BITMAPS);

/* display a button */
EVE_cmd_fgcolor_burst(0x00ffffff); /* some grey */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(TAG(10)); /* assign tag-value '10' to the button that follows */
EVE_cmd_button_burst(20,20,80,30, 28, toggle_state,"Hey!");
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(TAG(0)); /* no touch */

#if defined (EVE_DMA)
EVE_cmd_number_burst(120, EVE_VSIZE - 65, 26, EVE_OPT_RIGHTX, cmd_fifo_size); /* number of bytes written to the cmd-fifo */
#endif
EVE_cmd_number_burst(120, EVE_VSIZE - 50, 26, EVE_OPT_RIGHTX, display_list_size); /* number of bytes written to the display-list by the command co-pro */
EVE_cmd_number_burst(120, EVE_VSIZE - 35, 26, EVE_OPT_RIGHTX|5, num_profile_a); /* duration in �s of TFT_loop() for the touch-event part */
EVE_cmd_number_burst(120, EVE_VSIZE - 20, 26, EVE_OPT_RIGHTX|5, num_profile_b); /* duration in �s of TFT_loop() for the display-list part */

EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_DISPLAY); /* instruct the graphics processor to show the list */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(CMD_SWAP); /* make this list active */

EVE_end_cmd_burst(); /* stop writing to the cmd-fifo, the cmd-FIFO will be executed automatically after this or when DMA is done */

}
}

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 12:09:14 PM »

Hello,

thank you for your code snippet.

Can you just confirm the format of the image you have stored in flash? Is this a EVE_COMPRESSED_RGBA_ASTC_8x8_KHR image or have you copied the native JPEG/PNG data into flash?

I ask this as the CMD_LOADIMAGE command is only applicable for PNG/JPEG data, and I believe this may be where the issue lies.  (just to note this approach is applicable, but you need to load the raw JPEG/PNG data into flash and not a conversion of the image data for this approach).

If you are using a EVE_COMPRESSED_RGBA_ASTC_8x8_KHR you would need to utilise the CMD_SETBITMAP command in a similar manner to the following:

CMD_SETBITMAP(0x800000 | 128, COMPRESSED_RGBA_ASTC_8x8_KHR, 110, 85)
BEGIN(BITMAPS)
VERTEX2II(0, 60, 0, 0)

Best Regards,
BRT Community

J369

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 10:17:46 PM »

I planned to go with jpeg/png RAW format.
I tried with EVE Screen Editor and it is working good when I load images from the flash using the software. please see working project snapshot. (I think I loaded the RAW images of jpg and png correctly.)

Now I tried loading images from flash using my controller using below code.
void initStaticBackground(void)
{
EVE_cmd_dl(CMD_DLSTART); /* Start the display list */

EVE_cmd_dl(TAG(0)); /* do not use the following objects for touch-detection */

EVE_cmd_bgcolor(0x00c0c0c0); /* light grey */

EVE_cmd_dl(VERTEX_FORMAT(0)); /* reduce precision for VERTEX2F to 1 pixel instead of 1/16 pixel default */

/* draw a rectangle on top */
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_BEGIN | EVE_RECTS);
EVE_cmd_dl(LINE_WIDTH(1*16)); /* size is in 1/16 pixel */

EVE_cmd_dl(DL_COLOR_RGB | RED);
EVE_cmd_dl(VERTEX2F(0,0));
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_END);

/* draw a black line to separate things */
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_COLOR_RGB | BLACK);
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_BEGIN | EVE_LINES);
EVE_cmd_dl(VERTEX2F(0,LAYOUT_Y1-2));
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_END);

EVE_cmd_flashsource(4096);

uint8_t *data = (uint8_t *)malloc(10368 + 1);
EVE_cmd_loadimage(4096, EVE_OPT_FLASH, data, 10368);
free(data);
EVE_cmd_dl(VERTEX2F(338, 273));
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_END);

EVE_cmd_flashsource(14464);

uint8_t *data1 = (uint8_t *)malloc(196864 + 1);
EVE_cmd_loadimage(39000, EVE_OPT_FLASH, data1, 196864);
free(data1);
EVE_cmd_dl(VERTEX2F(227, 273));
EVE_cmd_dl(DL_END);
#if (TEST_UTF8 != 0) && (EVE_GEN > 2)
EVE_cmd_setfont2(12,MEM_FONT,32); /* assign bitmap handle to a custom font */
EVE_cmd_text(EVE_HSIZE/2, 15, 12, EVE_OPT_CENTERX, "Gastronomous");
#else
EVE_cmd_text(EVE_HSIZE/2, 15, 29, EVE_OPT_CENTERX, "Hello World");
#endif

/* add the static text to the list */
#if defined (EVE_DMA)
EVE_cmd_text(10, EVE_VSIZE - 65, 26, 0, "Bytes:");
#endif
EVE_cmd_text(10, EVE_VSIZE - 50, 26, 0, "DL-size:");
EVE_cmd_text(10, EVE_VSIZE - 35, 26, 0, "Time1:");
EVE_cmd_text(10, EVE_VSIZE - 20, 26, 0, "Time2:");

EVE_cmd_text(125, EVE_VSIZE - 35, 26, 0, "us");
EVE_cmd_text(125, EVE_VSIZE - 20, 26, 0, "us");

while (EVE_busy()) {};

num_dl_static = EVE_memRead16(REG_CMD_DL);

EVE_cmd_memcpy(MEM_DL_STATIC, EVE_RAM_DL, num_dl_static);
while (EVE_busy()) {};
}

void TFT_display(void)
{
static int32_t rotate = 0;

if(tft_active != 0)
{
#if defined (EVE_DMA)
uint16_t cmd_fifo_size;
cmd_fifo_size = EVE_dma_buffer_index*4; /* without DMA there is no way to tell how many bytes are written to the cmd-fifo */
#endif

EVE_start_cmd_burst(); /* start writing to the cmd-fifo as one stream of bytes, only sending the address once */

EVE_cmd_dl_burst(CMD_DLSTART); /* start the display list */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_CLEAR_RGB | WHITE); /* set the default clear color to white */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_CLEAR | CLR_COL | CLR_STN | CLR_TAG); /* clear the screen - this and the previous prevent artifacts between lists, Attributes are the color, stencil and tag buffers */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(TAG(0));

EVE_cmd_append_burst(MEM_DL_STATIC, num_dl_static); /* insert static part of display-list from copy in gfx-mem */

/* display a button */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_COLOR_RGB | WHITE);

EVE_cmd_fgcolor_burst(0x00c0c0c0); /* some grey */
// EVE_cmd_fgcolor_burst(0x00ffffff); /* some grey */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(TAG(10)); /* assign tag-value '10' to the button that follows */
EVE_cmd_button_burst(20,20,80,30, 28, toggle_state,"Hey!");
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(TAG(0)); /* no touch */

EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_BEGIN | EVE_BITMAPS);
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(VERTEX2F(EVE_HSIZE - 100, (LAYOUT_Y1)));
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_END);

EVE_cmd_dl_burst(RESTORE_CONTEXT()); /* reset the transformation matrix to default values */

/* print profiling values */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_COLOR_RGB | BLACK);

#if defined (EVE_DMA)
EVE_cmd_number_burst(120, EVE_VSIZE - 65, 26, EVE_OPT_RIGHTX, cmd_fifo_size); /* number of bytes written to the cmd-fifo */
#endif
EVE_cmd_number_burst(120, EVE_VSIZE - 50, 26, EVE_OPT_RIGHTX, display_list_size); /* number of bytes written to the display-list by the command co-pro */
EVE_cmd_number_burst(120, EVE_VSIZE - 35, 26, EVE_OPT_RIGHTX|5, num_profile_a); /* duration in �s of TFT_loop() for the touch-event part */
EVE_cmd_number_burst(120, EVE_VSIZE - 20, 26, EVE_OPT_RIGHTX|5, num_profile_b); /* duration in �s of TFT_loop() for the display-list part */

EVE_cmd_dl_burst(DL_DISPLAY); /* instruct the graphics processor to show the list */
EVE_cmd_dl_burst(CMD_SWAP); /* make this list active */

EVE_end_cmd_burst(); /* stop writing to the cmd-fifo, the cmd-FIFO will be executed automatically after this or when DMA is done */

}
}

And by applying above code I got https://ibb.co/1TVYM8G screen
The good thing is that this is the first time I could load the image with colors (see at the top right corner) But I am surprised why it's loaded at incorrect place? And also it looks like it is loading at two places. Something small is not correctly aligning but not able to know exactly what is the issue. I tired many things but couldn't figure out. Please help. If you can set up a video call meeting I can be available as per your time zone. May be we can fix it within 30 minutes with your help.

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 04:48:23 PM »

Hello,

Thank you for the update.

Could you just clarify which library you are using? is this ESD based code?

Also can you please let me know how you have generated the flash image in EAB for testing? or have you uploaded the flash image from EVE screen Editor to your board?

Please feel free to call our support line within UK office hours @: (+44)141 429 2777

Best Regards,
BRT Community

J369

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 05:22:21 PM »

Hello,

I am using Rudolph Riedel's library.
I have not generated flash image, they were in the sample projects of EVE Screen Editor examples folder. (see attached location)

Thank you.

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2021, 11:11:02 AM »

Hello,

I will assume in this case that you have utilized the flash image provided in these example on your board.

After review of your code it appears that the VERTEX_FORMAT and COLOR_RGB commands are responsible for the on screen behavior you are seeing (see attached image).

I would suggest adding a COLOR_RGB (white) command to your code before you issue the FLASH_SOURCE and LOADIMAGE commands, i would also suggest utilizing VERTEX2II when placing the bitmaps on the screen for testing currently.

Best Regards,
BRT Community

J369

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2022, 03:48:49 PM »

Hello,

I will assume in this case that you have utilized the flash image provided in these example on your board.

After review of your code it appears that the VERTEX_FORMAT and COLOR_RGB commands are responsible for the on screen behavior you are seeing (see attached image).

I would suggest adding a COLOR_RGB (white) command to your code before you issue the FLASH_SOURCE and LOADIMAGE commands, i would also suggest utilizing VERTEX2II when placing the bitmaps on the screen for testing currently.

Best Regards,
BRT Community

Hello,

I am now more leaning towards changing my controller to stm32 as that will support EVE Screen Designer.
Can you please help me suggesting the latest controller that I should select to match with my display and with EVE Screen Designer project that can include animations, UART comm. with main controller and may be update firmware over uart if required. Can you please suggest one?
Pages: [1] 2