Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Bridgetek Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ Bridgetek Support

Please refer to our website for detailed information on all our products - Bridgetek - Bridging Technology

Author Topic: FT81x not rendering display lists? [SOLVED]  (Read 9658 times)

AT38

• View Profile
FT81x not rendering display lists? [SOLVED]
« on: June 03, 2019, 04:29:42 PM »

Hi folks.

I am in the process of moving my project from a back buffer based display to the FT81x

My target MCU is STM32F407 and I am using a Gameduino3 shield as a display dev board.

I have SPI comms up and running, reset the FT81x with the PWRDOWN and ACTIVE host commands,
wait for 7C in REG_ID, and enable the display by writing 0x80 to REG_GPIO and 5 to REG_PCLK.

I now have a black screen with a single red pixel in the top left corner. (could be the bottom right, but beside the point)

I have also written a simple display list to clear the screen to a distinct colour and finally written 1 to REG_DLSWAP to swap in the new list.

However, the display is still black with a single red pixel in the top left.

I've checked the display timings and verified that the default parameters are correct for this screen, and that also the gameduino library makes no changes to the timing registers.

Since I am able to reset, activate, read id and enable the display, I believe my SPI routines are working correctly.

I've also checked the Display List Command macros to make sure they're putting out the correct values.

I've had a jolly good look through the application notes, programmer's guide and data sheet, and I see nothing that I am missing.

I don't know why I have just a single red pixel in the corner of a black background.

My next step will be to start reading out registers and the display list, and verifying their values are correct.

But if anyone knows what causes this situation and how to fix it, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,

AT38

SOLVED:

Data is little-endian, address is big-endian. I was sending data as big-endian.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:16:02 AM by AT38 »

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FT81x not rendering display lists? [SOLVED]
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:32:07 AM »

Hi,

Good to hear that you found the issue.

FYI we have further details of the data formatting in the datasheet and also in appnote BRT_AN_006 below which might be helpful.
https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/ICs/DS_FT81x.pdf
https://brtchip.com/wp-content/uploads/Support/Documentation/Application_Notes/ICs/EVE/BRT-AN-006-FT81x-Simple-PIC-Example.pdf

We're also about to release new example code covering various MCU platforms including the STM32F0 discovery board. Let us know if you would like a beta copy by emailing us at the support address: support.emea@brtchip.com

Best Regards, BRT Community