Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Bridgetek Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ Bridgetek Support

Please refer to our website for detailed information on all our products - Bridgetek - Bridging Technology

Author Topic: EVE Asset Builder/EVE Screen Designer Animations  (Read 11629 times)

kiwiadam

• View Profile
EVE Asset Builder/EVE Screen Designer Animations
« on: June 02, 2021, 01:55:06 AM »

Hi -

I'm having difficulty getting any animation assets built from GIFs with EVE asset builder to render in ESD simulator (or indeed on hardware).

First question is are there any known (major) issues here?

I'm using the flash generation feature to reference the animation object location correctly, and the emulator is finding the animation and attempting to render it.

I'm finding that animations are heavily distorted and generating a series of co-processor errors when simulated in ESD (although there are some recognisable features). There seems to be some corruption around tiling.

I thought the issue may be a result of my test gifs having some compression etc and not converting properly but the same issues persist with the test assets in the 'EVE Asset Builder\Assets For Test\Generate Animation Test' folder.

Are there any available sample projects that have successfully tested GIF assets, together with the *exact* EVE asset builder settings used to generate a working animation from in ESD? I can find one example for the EV charger sample but it doesn't provide raw frames from which the animation was generated, or asset builder settings.

cheers

Adam

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EVE Asset Builder/EVE Screen Designer Animations
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 03:57:28 PM »

Hello,

Thank you for your question, I have split this into a new topic as it seems to relate to both EAB and ESD.

I am just starting to look into this issue, but I will note that there are currently no know major issue with the animation generation in EAB or animation implementation in ESD, however it does sound like you are running into issues in this case.

Would you be able to provide the animation asset you generated with EAB?
Could you also clarify which version of ESD and EAB you are using?

Best Regards,
BRT Community

kiwiadam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 12:00:03 PM »

Hi -
Thanks for coming back to me.

Here's a link to the test project, with asset (izon2.gif) included. Note I've just modified the 'Usercode' example to try and get a working animation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qOd72ZovmzCjJamfSR-EduuWmJpykfzC/view?usp=sharing

Asset builder is 2.2.0 (I've tested 2.1.0 too without improved results). ESD is 4.12 RC1.
Asset builder settings are shown in 'Asset builder settings1.jpg' and 'Asset builder settings2.jpg'. I seem to get smaller files and slightly more recognisable results with tiling disabled. Modifying block footprints and other settings doesn't improve results.

I'm generating flash.bin from izon2.anim using the flash utility. flash.bin is included in the ESD and referenced using the izon2.anim.object address from 'flash.map' (with a 4096 offset to allow for unified.blob).
You can see the animation partly rendering but flickering a lot and generating errors within the simulation environment. Doesn't work on hardware BT816 either.

Appreciate any advice you can provide.

Adam

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 03:10:11 PM »

Hello,

Thank you for the details.

I have managed to run the project and I am seeing the following co-processor error:

"invalid animation in cmd_animstart()"

Just to clarify is this the same error you are seeing?

I am currently in discussion with the ESD/EAB development team to asses what may be causing the behaviour you are seeing.

Best Regards,
BRT Community

kiwiadam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 01:20:41 AM »

My apologies -
Looks like the ESD_RESOURCE_DIRECTFLASH property wasn't set for flash.bin in the ESD project when I saved the project - this should be as per attached image.
When this is set you can see *parts* of the animation flickering in and out of view together with the following errors accumulating:

Invalid display list entry 55
Invalid display list entry 53

cheers
Adam

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 04:52:33 PM »

Hello,

Thank you for the clarification, I can see clearly now the issue displaying within the example project.
I am still investigating this behaviour with the developers and will get back to you ASAP with any suggestions they may have.

Best Regards,
BRT Community

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 12:18:03 PM »

Hello,

The developers have provided the following steps to use an animation asset in ESD:
Code: [Select]
Steps to generate Animations
1. Convert gif file to animation file with EAB, under Generate Animation tab, the output is xxx.anim
2. Covert xxx.anim to bin file under Flash Utilities tab, the output is xxx.bin
3. Remove the first 4096 bytes of xxx.bin in step 2. This is because the first 4096 bytes is reserved for blob, if don't remove them there will be an unexpected address shift which will prevent ESD to find the correct anim address
4. In ESD project, create Resources folder, add xxx.bin in this folder
5. In the properties of xxx.bin file, set Resource Type as ESD_RESOURCE_DIRECTFLASH and set Compressed to False
6. Create User_xxx.widget which implement Render, Start and Stop functions
7. In User_xxx.c(includes the above functions), add below 2 lines:
#define ANIM_ADDR (address)  -- this address is in the xxx.map file which is the by-product of bin file, the value after xxx.anim.object
#define FRAME_COUNT (count)  -- this count is defined in xxx_anim.c file which is the by-product of bin file
8. Add User_xxx.widget to the place where you want to play, run the project

They have also provided a sample project based on the above which I can provide to you, we are in the process of migrating our FTP site currently so ive uploaded this to WeTransfer temporarily: https://we.tl/t-5pzbsoI0vm

Ill need to clarify which EAB settings they used to generate the animation, however the indication is that steps above are more pertinent than the specific settings used.

Best Regards,
BRT Community

kiwiadam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 05:42:06 AM »

Thanks,

Using those steps I've been able to get animations displaying correctly in the emulator. I'd suggest adding these steps to EAB/ESD documentation as it's quite a big ask to infer the process below.
I'll post if I have difficulties with running the animation on device, otherwise can assume the issue is resolved.

cheers
Adam

BRT Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 11:01:55 AM »

Hello,

Thank you for the update, I'm glad you have managed to resolve the issue.

Best Regards,
BRT Community