Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Bridgetek Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ Bridgetek Support

Please refer to our website for detailed information on all our products - Bridgetek - Bridging Technology

Author Topic: EVE Image Converter and Alpha-Channel  (Read 12908 times)

Rudolph

• View Profile
EVE Image Converter and Alpha-Channel
« on: May 20, 2019, 05:43:11 PM »

I have a problem with the EVE Image Converter.
I needed an image for a project and in order to comply with corporate identity I asked a colleague
who does graphics design for a couple of departments, mostly to create apps.

He had a fitting image in his library and sent me a couple of .png files with a variety of resolutions derived from a vector drawing.

Now the problem is, the images he sent me are 32 bit .png, the 8-bit alpha-channel is used for anti-aliasing.
And he made a very convincing argument that this is quite normal in graphics design.

The problem I have is that img_cvt.exe completely ignores the 8-bit alpha channel.
Everything that is in the alpha-channel gets to be transparent and so any anti-aliasing is lost.
And the dither option makes it even worse, at least it can be disabled now.

pauljiao

• View Profile
Re: EVE Image Converter and Alpha-Channel
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 09:18:13 AM »

Hi Rudolph,
     For EVE bitmap format,  the alpha channel is kept in the following formats, ARGB1555, PALETTED, ARGB4, ARGB2 and ASTC(BT81X).   If you want to keep the alpha channel, you may try EAB to convert it into the formats above.   ASTC4x4 shall be good enough for you.

Best Regards
      Paul J

Rudolph

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 04:38:40 PM »

My problem is not that I do not have an alpha-channel.
My problem is that the alpha-channel in my pictures is 8 bit and EVE uses only 1 bit.

The file "test_original.jpg" is a portion of a .png saved with irfanview.
The file "test_ARGB.jpg" shows how EVE Image Converter converts it.

And here I could stop as unfortunately using a BT815 instead of a FT813 still is not an option for me.
I would like to switch from EVE2-70G to EVE3-70G but neither Mouser or DigiKey have these in stock.

But you are right, as can be seen in the file "test_ASTC4x4.jpg", this works much better.
At least in the EVE Screen Editor it does.

pauljiao

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 04:48:47 AM »

Hi Rudolph,

I searched the website and found Riverdi provides that 7inch display panel ,which might be what you want.  see:
https://riverdi.com/product-category/eve/?filter_graphics-controller=bt81x-eve-3&filter_size-inch=7&query_type_size-inch=or

Rudolph

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 08:53:20 PM »

I know that Riverdi has EVE3 modules, I could get them from TME.
I have a RVT43ULBNWC00 I am playing with.

However, I already have a finished design for a tablet-like case to fit an EVE2-70G in and Riverdi uses
a completely different PCB.
The need to take additional steps when converting images is far less of a inconveniance than to
redesign our case and maybe even our PCB.

Of course you are right and if DigiKey and Mouser keep pushing the delivery data I just might get modules from Riverdi regardless.